March 16, 2020
Dear Clayton School Community:
I would like to thank everyone in our entire community for your patience and understanding as we navigate the challenges related to the COVID-19 pandemic. This issue has created some very complex scenarios that required a substantial amount of time and creativity to address properly. I am not naïve to think that we will not have some “glitches” with the implementation of our online learning, but I am confident that we are prepared to initiate “Cyber School” in our district.
We have submitted a “Cyber School Learning” plan to the Gloucester County Department of Education and have consulted with the Gloucester County Department of Health. Both steps were required to enable our district to count our Cyber School days toward the 180 school-day requirement. This letter will give as much detail as possible in an effort to provide answers and guidance specific to the next two weeks (through March 27th).
Please be aware that these are the times and schedule for Cyber School which will start on Tuesday, March 17th. Teachers will be posting all their assignments by 8:30 a.m. each day. Below are the “office hours” for teachers when they will be available to answer questions and concerns from students:
CYBER SCHOOL SCHEDULE
Morning Office Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 12 noon
Afternoon Office Hours: 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
Expectations for Teaching and Remote Learning:
- The remote learning plan is an online learning plan. Teachers and students will sometimes not be “live” with one another. Teachers will teach their classes electronically, and students will complete the assigned material throughout the day and submit the material on the due date as prescribed by the teacher. During these times, teachers will be available through either email and/or Google Classroom, Class DoJo, and Remind.
- Assignments will be posted by 8:30 a.m. Students will be given a minimum of 24 hours to complete their assignments.
- All assignments initially will be placed in the Level 1 category for grading purposes. As students and teachers become more comfortable with remote learning, tasks may evolve to Level 2. High School AP and Honors Classes will start as Level 2 tasks.
- Students are expected to complete all assignments with fidelity and within the timeframe given. If students are unable to do so, they are to contact the teacher immediately.
- Guidance counselors, nurses, and other members of our support staff will be available via email for any additional questions or concerns.
- Teachers will update grades a minimum of once per week in Power School.
- Parents and students are expected to monitor their grades. Please reach out to teachers and guidance counselors with concerns.
Platforms for Daily Use:
- Grades PreK-5 will use Remind or Class DOJO for their daily learning engagements. Grades 6-12 will use Google Classroom for their daily learning engagements.
- Email will be used for communications between staff and will be used to communicate formally with parents.
- These platforms should already be familiar to students. Students will continue to use these platforms for all daily lessons. Consider these platforms to be the home base for students.
- Assignments will be posted by the start of the Cyber School day (8:30 a.m.). Teachers will be available during online teacher office hours to check email and respond to questions.
Guidelines for Special Education Students:
- Teachers will address special education accommodations to the best of their ability, with extra time, modified work, shortened assignments, extra notes, scaffolding, text-to-speech, etc.
- Teachers will leverage software that adapts to student needs – IXL, NewsELA, etc.
- Teachers will differentiate assignments and objectives through online platforms to targeted groups of students as appropriate.
- The Child Study Team supervisor will communicate with OOD service providers, parents, and transportation.
- Related services providers (Speech, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, Counseling) will be reaching out to provide instruction through Remind and email.
- Please be sure to sign up for the provider’s Remind classroom as they are shared with you.
- Child Study Team meetings will continue as scheduled. Meetings will be conducted as phone conferences, and paperwork will be sent electronically or mailed, whichever is the preferred method of communication of the parent/family.
Nutrition Services – Breakfast/Lunch Distribution (Updated)
- During the period of the implementation of Clayton Cyber School, we will be providing breakfast and lunch for all students. Breakfast/lunch will be “grab and go” meals and available for purchase at regular school prices. Students who receive free and reduced lunch will still qualify at the reduced rates.
- We will have two central locations for pick-up/distribution. Both school locations will now open from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. Parents/students may go to either location to pick up their “grab and go” bag. With the support of the Clayton Borough, crossing guards will be in place.
Student Pickup of Personal items and Medication:
- School Buildings will be open on Tuesday March 17th and Wednesday March 18th between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. for picking up any personal items and medications.
- Students must enter through the main office doors and sign in at the main office.
For student technical support, please always submit your issues in the Student iPad & Technical Support form. The form is located at claytonps.org -> student resources (top left). If you are unable to access the form, you can email your issue to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our Central Office and school offices will be open to answer calls and address issues that arise. Information/guidelines are subject to change. Our website will be updated to ensure that you have the most recent information. Please continue to visit our website, www.claytonps.org, for updates about the COVID-19 pandemic.
Again, thank you for your support and understanding. Although I am sure we will have some “glitches,” we will get through this together.
Nikolaos C. Koutsogiannis
Superintendent of Schools