September 21, 2020
Dear Herma Simmons Elementary School Parents/Guardians:
One of the cornerstone events that assists us in launching a school year and maintaining the home and school partnership is our annual Back to School Night. However, in light of the current global situation, this event will be taking on a new format. We cordially invite you to attend our Virtual Back to School Night on Tuesday, September 29, 2020 at 6:00PM. At that time, you will be able to view an introductory video which will be posted on the Herma S. Simmons Elementary School webpage at https://claytonps.org/schools/herma-simmons-elementary/. At the completion of the video, you will be able to access Faculty and Staff Websites located at the left of the screen. You can click on your child’s teacher to view their recorded video. Please note that these videos will be accessible for at least one week.
Although we cannot meet in person at this time, the virtual format does allow you to be able to put a face and voice to the teachers your child(ren) have been talking about since the opening of school.
Once again, we are thrilled to welcome everyone back to Herma Simmons Elementary School–the school where Nothing Short of Excellence thrives. As always, if I can be of assistance throughout this very unique school year, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Scott G. Uribe
September 23, 2020
We cordially invite you to view our annual “Back to School Night” on Thursday, September 30th at 6:00 pm. This year’s Back to School Night will be virtual. At 6:00pm, you will be able to view my introduction video which will be posted on the Clayton Middle School’s webpage, https://claytonps.org/schools/clayton-middleschool/. At the completion of the introduction video, please follow your child’s schedule by clicking on the teachers’ webpage. Located at the left of the screen, under Middle School Menu, click Faculty & Staff Websites to view the teachers’ video in the order of their schedule. The videos will be posted for at least 1 week and you may view them at your leisure. This is a very important event for your child and the faculty at Clayton Middle School. Back-to-School Night provides an excellent opportunity to learn more about our school and to meet your child’s teachers. It is an opportunity to find out what the expectations, curriculum, classroom procedures, and methods of assessment will be for each class. Most of all, it allows you to put faces with the names of the people who teach and are involved in your child’s success. Our Guidance Department and Child Study Team will also have videos posted on their websites to inform you about the services they provide. It is our goal to provide your child with a positive and successful educational experience. Please help us achieve this by viewing our “Back to School Night” videos.
Guidelines for the Clayton High School SAT Administration Saturday, September 26, 2020
- Students need to arrive no later than 7:45 am to Clayton High School. We will not check in any students prior to 7:45 am. The school address is 55A Pop Kramer Blvd, Clayton NJ 08312.
- Students being dropped off will check in at our Performing Arts Center located to the right as you pull in to Clayton High School.
- Students driving themselves will park in the high school parking lot and check in at the main entrance of the high school.
- Student’s will not be allowed to check in without a mask.
- You MUST have a photo id in order to enter the building. Upon check in, you will be asked to briefly pull your mask down to be identified.
- Six foot social distancing must be maintained at all times during check in.
- Temperature will be taken at check in and recorded. If your temperature is 100.4 or above you will not be allowed to enter the building
- Students entering the building will be given a short survey and MUST answer the following 5 questions:
- In the past 14 days, you have not come into close contact (within 6 feet) with someone who has a positive covid-19 test or is presumed to have covid-19
- You do not have covid-19 or reason to believe you have covid-19. Symptoms of covid-19 include cough, fever, chills, muscle pain, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, sore throat, new loss of taste or smell
- To your knowledge, you are not violating any travel restrictions or quarantining requirements
- You agree to wear a mask the entire time you’re at this test site and follow instructions from testing staff
- We have taken measures to help create a safe testing environment; however, it isn’t possible to entirely remove the risk of covid-19 exposure. By entering the testing room, you are accepting that risk
Any student who does not agree affirmatively to all of these 5 survey questions will be denied entry into the building. If you cannot answer affirmatively to these 5 questions please DO NOT report to Clayton High School and contact Collegeboard for rescheduling options.
Entering the building
- You MUST wear a mask at all times.
- You MUST maintain social distancing (six feet apart) in the building.
- Upon entering the building students must report directly to their testing rooms. Staff will be available in the building to help non-Clayton students with directions
- You will be asked to present your photo ID at the testing room in order to be permitted entrance to the room. As at check in, you will pull your mask down for identification purposes.
- You will be asked to sanitize your hands before entering the room.
- No food will be allowed in the building. You will only be allowed to bring drinks to consume during breaks. If this presents a problem please contact Collegeboard regarding test rescheduling
In the Testing Room
- You MUST wear your mask at all times.
- All cell phones will be collected and stored in the room until the conclusion of testing. Students will be provided with a small plastic bag to put their phone in before it is collected.
- There will be no more than 12 students in a room. This allows us to maintain social distancing (six feet apart) during testing
- Students will only be permitted to leave the testing room during breaks for restroom use. All other break time will be spent in the testing room. Drinks only may be consumed on breaks in the testing room while standing behind their desks away from test materials.
- Only one person will be allowed in the restrooms at a time. While waiting for restroom use, you MUST maintain social distancing (six feet apart). Note: Break times have been extended by Collegeboard to allow for social distancing protocols.
When Testing is Finished
- Students must immediately leave the building when testing has concluded.
- Masks must be worn until the student exits the building.
- We anticipate testing may take a bit longer due to new check in protocols, extended breaks, etc. Please be flexible in regarding pick up time of students testing.
September 15, 2020
Dear Clayton School Community:
This letter is to inform you that an employee at Clayton Public School District has tested positive for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). The District is coordinating closely with public health officials and following CDC, state, and local health department guidance in order to assure the health and safety of our community. Initial contact tracing has indicated that no students have been in close contact with this individual. The people who have been in close contact with this individual have been notified.
The District is cleaning and disinfecting all exposed areas. The school is also taking precautions to prevent the introduction and spread of viruses and other germs and is cleaning frequently touched surfaces daily. Based on the current information and the COVID-19 risk matrix, our schools will remain open. The status of this situation is fluid, and we are monitoring it closely.
We understand the level of concern regarding COVID-19. We encourage parents and students to continue following the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention promoted safeguards, such as:
- Staying home when you are sick;
- Washing hands often with soap for at least 20 seconds;
- Covering coughs and sneezes and properly disposing of tissues;
- Limiting close contact with people who are sick and not sharing food, drinks, and utensils;
- Practicing social distancing (staying at least 6 feet apart);
- Wearing a face covering while in school; and
- Continuing to monitor your health for symptoms.
As always, we appreciate your support and cooperation. You can assist us by remaining vigilant but sensible in your approach to dealing with this health concern. Below are some resources that might be helpful.
- NJDOH COVID-19 Information for Communities and the General Public: https://www.nj.gov/health/cd/topics/covid2019 community.shtml
- Get the Facts about Coronavirus: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
- Symptoms of COVID-19: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/symptoms-testing/symptoms.html
- Testing: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/testing/index.html; https://covid19.nj.gov.pages/testing
- How to Protect Yourself: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/prevention.html
- What to Do if You Are Sick: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/if-you-are-sick/steps-when-sick.html
Nikolaos C. Koutsogiannis
Superintendent of Schools
To view the letter in PDF form, please click here.
Good afternoon –
I hope this message finds you well. As per my earlier correspondence, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, both Senator Booker and Senator Menendez will be hosting this year’s U.S. Service Academy Day Information Session virtually on Sunday, September 13th from 12:00pm to 2:00pm.
This program is for any students, parents, and guidance counselors interested in learning about the admissions process for the U.S. Service Academies – the Naval Academy, West Point, the Merchant Marine Academy, the Air Force Academy, the Coast Guard Academy, as well as ROTC.
Attached please find the flyer for Academy Day, and please find the WebEx link to join below:
Please feel free to circulate to your networks. We hope you will be able to join us!
U.S. Senator Cory A. Booker
One Gateway Center, 23rd Floor
Newark, NJ 07102 | 201.674.4813